Pages

"There is no more lovely, friendly and charming relationship, communion or company than a good marriage."
--Martin Luther

Tuesday 31 December 2013

Top Ten Tuesdays: Top Ten Books in 2013

So it's the LAST Tuesday of the year and over at The Broke and the Bookish, we're looking at the best books read in 2013.  I just couldn't keep to the 10-book limit.  Here's the list of my favourite reads from this year:

1.  Les Misérables by Victor Hugo:  I had this on my list of most intimidating reads back in this post, and I am pleased that I finally got past my hesitation and read Les Mis.

2.  Me Before You by Jojo Moyes:  A total tearjerker.

3.  A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith:  I started this shortly after grad school when I was working at Chapters book store.  Seriously, how did it take me almost 10 years to pick it up again?  So good!

4.  The Shipping News by Annie Proulx:  I loved how small-town Newfoundland came to life in this book.

5.  The Fault in Our Stars by John Green:  A favourite of bloggers and a moving read.

6.  Doomsday Book by Connie Willis:  Time travel is always big on my interest list, but this book also brought the middle ages to life for me.

7.  A Constellation of Vital Phenomena by Anthony Marra:  Captivating book about several people experiencing the war in Chechnya.

8.  The Garden of Evening Mists by Tan Twan Eng:  A beautiful book that looks at the baggage of the Japanese occupation in Malaysia.

9.  A Mountain of Crumbs by Elena Gorokhova:  A beautiful memoir of growing up in the later years of the USSR as an English language enthusiast.

10.  The Meaning of Marriage by Timothy and Kathy Keller:  See my posts on this book here and here.

11.  Quiet:  The Power of Introverts in a World that Won't Stop Talking by Susan Cain:  I can't tell you how many times I was tempted to fist-pump and yell out, "Finally somebody understands me!"

6 comments:

  1. Me Before You was tied for first place on my list. I loved it! I'm hoping to read Doomsday Book and Quiet sometime in 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to read both The Fault in Our Stars and Quiet; they've been on my TBR list practically all year, but I just didn't get to them. Hopefully next year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant to read Les Mis two years ago when the movie was out in theaters, but it slipped past me again. Also, I absolutely love the name of your blog! I think it's cute that you call your husband Gil! :D Then again I'm a complete AOGG nut, so what do I know?

    My TTT:

    http://diamondinroughcoal.blogspot.com/2013/12/top-ten-tuesday-17-or-my-top-ten-books.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AoGG is amazing! I'm glad you got the reference. My husband didn't want his real name used, so I figured Gil is an appropriate pseudonym for him. :-)

      Delete
  4. Good list, I love The Fault in Our Stars it made my list as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A Constellation of Vital Phenomena was a fantastic read, definitely made my honourable mentions (it was so hard to pick just 10 books for this week's list!). I really need to get around to Me Before You--maybe this year? :) Great list!

    Happy New Year! :) My TTT

    ReplyDelete