Pages

"There is no more lovely, friendly and charming relationship, communion or company than a good marriage."
--Martin Luther

Tuesday 11 February 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Books That Make Me "Swoon"

It's Tuesday again, so it's time for another Top Ten Tuesday at The Broke and the Bookish.  This week's topic is "Top Ten Books That Make You Swoon".  I don't really do the romance genre, and definitely don't read 'bodice rippers', so this was a hard one for me.  A lot of book bloggers are into the whole swooning thing, and I'm not really sure, is it the romance, or the "swoon-worthy" male love interest.  I've put some of both on here, but I could only come up with eight books.

1.  Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen:  Duh, this is my all-time favourite.  I melt at, "My affections and wishes are unchanged." 

2.  Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell:  A romance that is awkward and real and happens without the airbrushing of most teenage love stories.

3.  Persuasion by Jane Austen:  I adore this love story, and the fact that second chances are possible. 

4.  The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger:  Yes, this was on my list last week.  It's a cry and swoon kinda book.

5.  North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell:  The slow growth of love among two who seem like complete opposites.  I love it.

6.  The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje:  I read this about 15 years ago, but I remember it being incredibly romantic.

And a couple of guys I've swooned over:
7.  Po in Graceling (by Kristin Cashore):  He fights well, he's sensitive, he's funny....  Sure, he has a secret that might bother you, but he's pretty awesome.

8.  Jeremy Dragon in Just As Long As We're Together (by Judy Blume):  Jeremy Dragon exemplified the hot older boy for me when I was about 11.  He's got a chartreuse jacket and a girlfriend, and he's even smart enough to take advanced math. 

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my list. I like your lineup and you might have convinced me to try a couple of books I have been putting off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your list. North and South is my favorite:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I can't believe I'd never read it until recently. It's such a great read!

      Delete
  3. I absolutely love Pride and Prejudice. Its not even funny :) Jane Austen's ability to manipulate the English language is unparalleled.

    ReplyDelete