Pages

"There is no more lovely, friendly and charming relationship, communion or company than a good marriage."
--Martin Luther

Tuesday 11 August 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Most-Read Authors

A while back (whoah, was that a year ago?!), The Broke and the Bookish did a link-up on which authors we own the most books from. This week's topic is which authors we've read the most from. I was a bit surprised by the results. Doing the math, it seems like most of these authors are ones I read in my childhood, who seem to be fairly prolific. Here goes:

1. Ann M. Martin (too many to count): Yes, I know a lot of the Baby-Sitters Club books were ghostwritten, but her name is on them all and she must have written a fair amount of them. I think I read up to #100 or so when I was a kid.

2. Judy Blume (17): Oh how I loved Judy Blume in my youth. I'm so reading her new book when I get a chance.

3. Roald Dahl (14): One of my all-time favourite writers. He most definitely had a role in shaping my childhood.

4. L.M. Montgomery (at least 13): All of the Anne books, all of the Emily of New Moon books, Chronicles of Avonlea, and probably a few others that I'm forgetting.

5. Stephen King (12 or 13): I went through a massive King phase when I was about thirteen. I was surprised when I looked back and realized how many of his books I have read.

6. J.K. Rowling (10): All of the Harry Potter books, plus the Tales of Beedle the Bard and the two Cormoran Strike novels. I love her.

7. Margaret Atwood (9): I think I have rhapsodized about Atwood enough times on here, so suffice it to say that I like her a lot.

8. C.S. Lewis (9): I've read all the Narnia books, plus The Screwtape Letters and Mere Christianity. He is always on my TBR list, but I never seem to get around to reading his other non-fiction.

9. Francine Rivers (8): I went through an obsessive phase with Rivers for a while. I still love the Mark of the Lion books and her Lineage of Grace volume.

10. Charles Dickens (7): The sad thing is how many extant Dickens books I still haven't read. Maybe in my lifetime I'll get around to them all...

6 comments:

  1. Excellent list! I've got Montgomery and Rowling on my list too, and I mentioned Ann M. Martin as one of the authors I read so very much as a kid.

    BTW, I adore your blog name, and you have a Martin Luther quote under your header -- I'm following you now, based on those two things and this list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this list! Montgomery, Dickens, Dahl, Lewis and Rowling are all so great. Someday I'll read an Atwood books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What!?!? Babysitters clubs books were ghost written!? NO!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently Martin wrote the first 35, and after that many were ghost-written. Makes sense, since I remember those books being released so frequently that I was astonished how fast the woman could write!

      Delete
  4. oh what a marvelous list!!! You have listed some of my faves :)
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to get around to all of Charles Dickens' works in my lifetime; right now I'm sitting at 5, I believe, so I have two more to catch up to your number ;) Margaret Atwood is another author I'd love to read more from (so far I've only read one of her books :3)

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete